Vaginal candida, also known as a vaginal yeast infection, is a fungal infection that causes irritation, itchiness, and unusual discharge from the vagina. A yeast infection affects three of four women at various points in their lives. If you suspect that you may have a yeast infection, contact us for more information or for yeast infection treatment Los Angeles.
Symptoms can be mild or severe and include:
- Redness and/or swelling
- Soreness and pain
- Unusual vaginal discharge
- Burning during urination or intercourse
Yeast infections are caused by the fungus candida. A normal vagina has a balanced combination of yeast. Lactobacillus bacteria produce an acid that keeps the body from producing too much of that yeast. An overgrowth of yeast will cause burning, itching, and any of the symptoms listed above.
There are several reasons why your body is producing too much yeast, such as:
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Oral contraceptive
- Hormone therapy
- Faulty immune system
It is possible for a yeast infection to occur after sexual activity, particularly after oral-genital contact. A yeast infection is not classified as a sexually transmitted disease as women who have not had sexual contact can still develop the infection.
There are two types of yeast infections, complicated and uncomplicated. Treatment will depend on which of these you are experiencing.
Uncomplicated Yeast Infection
For infrequent episodes and mild symptoms, your yeast infection treatment Los Angeles may be one of the following:
- Short course vaginal therapy – Some short course vaginal therapies are available over the counter or by prescription. This antifungal medication is available as an ointment, tablet, suppository, or cream.
- Nonprescription Treatment – Most over the counter antifungal creams are extremely successful for most women. These are also safe to use during pregnancy.
- Single dose oral medication – Yeast infection treatment Los Angeles may be a one-time oral dose prescribed by your doctor.
If you suspect that you are suffering from a yeast infection, please call us at (213) 386-2511 for more information or for yeast infection treatment Los Angeles, schedule an appointment online.