Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are usually contracted through sexual contact, but there are instances where they are transmitted nonsexually. The disease can be passed from person to person in semen, bodily fluids, or blood. It is difficult to know who has a sexually transmitted disease so practicing safe sex is important. Since they don’t always show symptoms, it is also important to get STD testing Los Angeles to be sure that you don’t have an STD.
It is not uncommon for STDs to show no symptoms, which means they can go undiagnosed and can lead to more severe complications. Some symptoms may include:
- Bumps or sores on the genitals, rectum, or mouth
- Burning during urination
- Pain during intercourse
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Unusual discharge
- Vaginal bleeding between periods
- Swollen or sore lymph nodes
Bacteria, viruses, or parasites may cause STDs. Bacterial STDs include syphilis, chlamydia, and gonorrhea. A parasite STD is trichomoniasis, while viral STDs include HPV, herpes, and HIV.
You may contract an STD through sexual activity, but it is also possible to get an STD with no sexual contact.
Bacterial STDs are easier to treat than viral infections. A viral STD often cannot be cured, but its symptoms can be managed. Depending on the type of infection, treatment involves:
- Antibiotics – These can cure many bacterial STDs. Remember, abstaining from sex until treatment is completed, is important because the disease can still be spread.
- Antiviral drugs – These can be used to help reduce the symptoms of viral STD. While it reduces the risk of infection, you can still pass the infection onto your partner. HIV infections can be kept at bay with antiviral drugs and are more effective the sooner you start treatment.
For STD testing Los Angeles please call us at (213) 386-2511 or schedule an appointment online.