Neck pain is very common and is rarely a sign of a more serious problem. It can simply be caused by poor posture. If you are experiencing persistent neck pain, it may be a good idea to seek out a neck pain specialist Los Angeles for advice or treatment.
Symptoms of persistent neck pain include:
- Inability to rotate/move your head
- Muscle spasms or tightness
- Pain that gets worse when holding your head in the same place for a prolonged period of time
Your neck is vulnerable to injury because it is flexible and necessary to support your head. Some common causes of neck pain include:
- Worn joints
- Muscle strains
- Nerve compression
For common and mild to moderate neck pain, self-care can help relieve the pain in two to three weeks time. If the pain continues or worsens, you may need other types of treatment such as:
- A stronger prescription pain medication and possibly a muscle relaxer to help you cope with the neck pain.
- Physical Therapy – A physical therapist will teach you proper alignment and posture, as well as teaching you neck-strengthening exercises. He or she will show you how to use ice, heat and electrical stimulation to help ease the pain.
- Using weights, an air bladder, or pullets to help stretch your neck. Supervised use of this therapy will give you relief from pain.
- Short-Term Immobilization – Using a soft collar will help support your neck, and in turn, relieving some of the pain by taking pressure off your neck.
- Surgical and Other Procedures.
- Surgery is rarely needed for neck pain but it may become an option to help with spinal cord or nerve root compression.
- Steroid Injections – Injecting a corticosteroid near the nerve root will help relieve your pain.
To help relieve your neck pain, visit our neck pain specialist Los Angeles by calling us at (213) 386-2511 or scheduling an appointment online.