You and everyone else has dealt with bouts of diarrhea. Diarrhea can even last for a couple of days. However, when it lasts for weeks, it can be an indication that there is something more serious going on like inflammatory bowel disease, an infection, or irritable bowel syndrome. To discuss your symptoms or to get diarrhea Los Angeles advice, call our office or schedule an appointment.
Other symptoms associated with diarrhea are:
- Abdominal pain or cramps
- An urgent need to use the toilet
- Loose, liquidly stool
- Blood in stool
There are a number of conditions or diseases that can cause diarrhea, such as:
- Bacteria or Parasites
- Lactose Intolerance.
- Artificial Sweeteners.
- Digestive Disorders.
It is likely that your diarrhea will clear up without treatment in a couple of days. There are home remedies or lifestyle changes that you can try in order to keep diarrhea from reoccurring. But, if you’ve tried them without success, there are other medications you can take:
- Antibiotics may be an effective treatment against bacterial parasites that cause diarrhea. However, if a virus causes your diarrhea, antibiotics will not help.
- Replacing fluids – Your doctor will recommend that you replace lost salts and fluids. This could mean drinking plenty or juice, broth, or water. If you are having trouble keeping down liquids, fluid can be replaced with an IV drip.
- It is possible that a medication you are taking is the cause of your diarrhea, and as a precaution, your doctor may switch your medication or simply lower your dose.
- Treat underlying conditions – If your diarrhea is caused by inflammatory bowel disease or by another more serious condition, your doctor will do whatever s/he can to control and improve your condition. You may also be referred to a gastroenterologist that specializes in these types of conditions.
If you are experiencing mild or severe diarrhea, contact our medical facility at (213) 386-2511 or schedule an appointment online to help reduce your diarrhea Los Angeles symptoms.